Have you ever eaten a bird nest soup? If not, you may be missing half of your life. Recipes from birds nest have evolved. There are many recipes that you can try out for an appetizing and comforting dish.
The most authentic bird nest recipe is made up of the nest of a swiftlet, which is a tiny bird that is evident all throughout Southeast Asia. Instead of the twigs and straws, swiftlet’s makes it own nest from gummy strands of their own saliva that hardens when it is exposed to air. Once the nest has been harvested, it is cleaned and sold to markets and restaurants, where these are usually simmered in chicken broth.
The most authentic bird’s nest soup is found all throughout Southeast Asia, where it has been believed to be an aphrodisiac. This is quite expensive especially in restaurants in the United States but not in Asia.
An authentic soup comes from the sheer hard work of families which have made harvesting a swiftlet’s nest a living for generations. Getting the birds nest itself can be quite dangerous for the harvesters, who may at times meet accidents while harvesting.
Want to know how a bird’s nest soup is cooked? It’s quite easy but getting the ingredient is the hardest part. Take a look at how easy it is to cook it.
What You Need for a Bird Nest Soup Recipe
- 10 ounces dried birds nest
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 10 to 12 cups of chicken stock
- Gingerroot, about a tablespoon, chopped
- About 100 grams of chicken thighs, diced
- Half a cup of straw mushroom, diced
Birds Nest Soup Recipe: How to Cook it
- Soak the dried birds nest into the water.
- Drain it from the water and rinse.
- Sauté the gingerroot in a stockpot using a full tablespoon of the cooking oil.
- Add in the chicken stock, bring it to boil then add the birds nest.
- Boil it for ten minutes; add the chicken thighs and mushrooms.
- Add the cornstarch to thicken the soup.
- Let it stand for five minutes before you serve the soup.
That is how simple and easy it is to cook a bird’s nest but the thing is finding a store where to buy a bird’s nest. There are many specialty stores that offer bird’s nest. If you’re looking for the best quality of a birds nest soup and that you’re planning to cook them go ahead and get started in finding that specialty store online for a very delicious birds nest. Study your options well and prepare sumptuous and healthy birds nest soup today!